PROMOTIONAL ORAL INTERVIEW - FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS
Many times you will be asked the question, complete your response, and then the
assessors will follow up with a question. Below are some examples of different follow-up statements that could be asked:
- Can you provide us with more detail concerning…?
- Can you elaborate on that point a little more?
- Can you provide us a specific example of that?
- What did you mean when you said…?
1. There are some occasions, though few, that during follow-up questions, the assessors will try to agitate you to see if you can control your emotions and keep a command presence while still giving an
appropriate answer. Don't get caught in this trap. The assessors might raise their voices to you or try to make sarcastic remarks to you. For example, if you give an answer, one of the assessors
might say to you, "So what, do you have a Superman cape under that suit that you are wearing? You really think you can do that?" That type of reply back to you will let the assessors see if you can be
provoked into giving a sarcastic remark back instead of staying calm and standing by your position.
2. Many times the assessors are simply trying to grab more information. Maybe you gave a partial
answer and the assessors are trying to get the remainder of the answer from you. Make sure to pay attention if that's what they are trying to do. For example, they might say, "So those are your only
suggestions for increasing training within the Division?"
If you would like to review additional promotional exam prep packages, go to our Assessment Center Exam Prep pages at the links below:
Promotional Oral Interview Exam Prep
Fire Tactical Exam Prep
Subordinate Counseling Exam Prep
Lieutenant/Captain/Battalion/Deputy Chief In-Basket Exam Prep
Leaderless Group Exam PrepTest-taking Strategies & Career Articles
Don McNea Fire School's Assessment Center
Exam Preparation has been put together by Fire Chiefs who are nationally-recognized authors and who have been assessors for thousands of assessment center examinations.
As always, all of our Assessment
Center Exam Prep products come with a no-risk guarantee. If you are not completely
satisfied, we will refund 100% of the product cost – no questions asked.