BEHAVIOR CHECKLIST FOR LEADERLESS GROUP DISCUSSION EXERCISE
PROBLEM ANALYSIS/DECISION MAKING DIMENSION
Problem Analysis/Decision Making: Skill in identifying and analyzing problems and developing logical solutions; identifies logical causes of problems, develops alternative solutions, and makes
decisions in a logical manner.
Positive Behavioral Descriptors:
- Seeks relevant information when needed; asks appropriate questions to get at the facts.
- Categorizes information, recalls relevant data, separates relevant from irrelevant information in exploring alternative solutions.
- Notes critical relationships between points made by others or among various parts of the problem in investigating potential solutions.
- Quickly and effectively analyzes situations or problems; focuses on the key elements of the problem without getting sidetracked by less important or trivial issues.
- Skillful in identifying possible causes of problems and logically weighs the available information in arriving at a decision.
- Develops possible alternative courses of action, carefully considering ramifications of each.
- Quickly and effectively evaluates new information and, if appropriate, modifies decisions.
- Positions on issues are well thought out, with logical reasons to support them.
- Judgments reflect an understanding of practical matters, including interpersonal issues that may affect the outcome of the decision.
- Foresees the consequences of various alternatives and selects the best alternative.
Negative Behavioral Descriptors:
- Does not spot relationships among key elements of the problem.
- Fails to adequately consider all of the available information.
- Fails to identify and consider possible alternative courses of action.
- Jumps to conclusions before properly defining the problem in its entirety.
- Fails to adequately consider the relationships between possible causes of the problem and the observed effects.
- Decisions do not fully address the key elements of the problem or situation.
- Makes decisions which deal with the surface issues rather than the causes of the problem(s).
- Judgments sometimes ignore practical or interpersonal concerns, resulting in negative outcomes.
- Decisions ignore important considerations, leading to the selection of poor alternative courses of action.
If you would like to review additional promotional exam prep packages, go to our Assessment Center Exam Prep pages at the links below:
Promotional Oral Interview Exam Prep
Fire Tactical Exam Prep
Subordinate Counseling Exam Prep
Lieutenant/Captain/Battalion/Deputy Chief In-Basket Exam Prep
Leaderless Group Exam PrepTest-taking Strategies & Career Articles
Don McNea Fire School's Assessment Center
Exam Preparation has been put together by Fire Chiefs who are nationally-recognized authors and who have been assessors for thousands of assessment center examinations.
As always, all of our Assessment
Center Exam Prep products come with a no-risk guarantee. If you are not completely
satisfied, we will refund 100% of the product cost – no questions asked.